While there are certain systems that do not require user’s brewing knowledge, there are some that allows the brewers to take their brewed drinks to another level of perfection. Varying from cost to the features that they offer, here’s a breakdown of the pros and cons of most of the automated home brewing systems.
#1 Beersmith ($14.95-49.95/Year)
Beersmith helps in making the recipes and measurements more invariable by its software which designs the recipe according to the Beer Judge Certification (BJCP) guidelines. The measurements maintains the color, alcohol by volume and the bitterness of the beer, measured in IBU.
- The system is compatible with brewers at any skill level.
- Beersmith makes the recipe more precise by omitting any guess-making.
- The software helps in creating beer that tastes similar to the one available commercially.
- It was really easy to use and provides accuracy.
- There are no cons as such since even the subscription is cheaper than two packets of liquid yeast and also comes with a 21-day free trial for the customer to make a final decision.
#2 Blichmann Tower of Power ($250)
This automated system is more suited for advanced brewers. It improves the recipes with the help of features such as adjustment of temperature without burning or overheating the mesh, allowing the brewer to step away from the machine.
- The system offers constant taste for each batch prepared as it ensures the same temperature and time duration every time you brew.
- The machine is easy to set up and can be used to brew both indoors and outdoors.
- The system is overpriced for a feature like temperature control.
#3 Picobrew Zymatic ($2000)
Zymatic was Picobrew’s first product and automated the entire process of brewing. However, the automation was limited to heating the water, mashing, mashing out, sparging while establishing the grist, adjusting the mesh rest temperature and time duration which are set up the brewer.
- Cleaning and sterilizing Zymatic takes little effort and space.
- Zymatic can be kept in a small place. Furthermore, the entire process from brewing, fermenting to serving occur in one vessel, thus it is also space friendly.
- The machine offers the person high control by allowing the update all the steps of the recipes manually.
- The Zymatic is overpriced and only allows brewing of a batch of size up to 2.5 gallon.
- The machine does not feature a chiller and the brewer is required to use his own.
- Since fermenting in kegs influences on the overall flavour, buying another vessel to ferment adds up to the cost.
#4 Grainfather Connect ($999)
This is an all-in-one brewing machine which includes a bucket that resembles a strainer and can accommodate a batch of 5 gallon.
- The Grainfather covers all the steps from making to cooling since it has a built-in chiller.
- The machine allows the brewer to use any kind of vessel to brew the drink.
- Since Grainfather is controlled via a smartphone app, it is easy to create recipes and also to put them to use.
- The price of Grainfather can be a little disheartening.
- The apps limits the level of customization of some of the steps which at times may require total manual control.
#5 Robobrew ($450)
Robobrew when compared to Grainfather is both less in cost and the features it offers.
- Robobrew allows to ferment a 5-gallon batch in a price lesser than Grainfather and in any vessel of choice.
- Robobrew is built with a poor quality material and consists of weaker pumps and stuck mashes, which is however, a compromise need to be made because of its price.
- The display of Robobrew is located at the bottom of the machine which can be difficult to observe while dealing with hot water.
#6 The Brewie+ ($1800)
The Brewie consists of a dual-chamber system that brews wort.
- The Brewie features an automated cleaning system and thus requires minimal efforts to clean.
- It offers the liability to put the machine on work and then forgetting about it as it controls everything on it own.
- Because of its size, Brewie is not a space-saver and needs a large space to be stored.
- The system is to be calibrated every time prior to use and in case of failure, would not allow the process to proceed.